JessicaRobyn

Reading Robyn

The Giver

The Giver - Lois Lowry The first time reading the Giver my initial response had a definite negative bias. I was reading it (somewhat) along with a class for English in Elementary. Now, I have never liked the way teachers have taught me critical thinking and in this case it was only worsened by my regularly having to skip around chapter to chapter after missing class on sick days. Every time I would begin to enjoy the plot and the way the world was developing we would have to stop and answer questions that were not as open ended as they should have been. The first time reading this book it was about getting the right answer and keeping up, not thinking about the implications of the plot and my own opinions on the perception of society. The second time around I found what I had missed out on, if it weren't for that first time reading The Giver, I may have liked this book even more. The way that this is both a dystopian book and yet written to appeal to a younger young-adult audience, is both still interesting and masterfully done. I enjoyed how the the writing described a dull world with vivid imagery. As the plot gradually progressed, with the world and understanding it was building, the writing made it easy to except the journey being taken by the main character as he begins to struggle with coming to grips with his reality at a very early age. I do wish that the character was perhaps a bit older in order to make his reactions more believable or stronger, but while reading I never gave his age much consideration. Thinking about it now, I may have imagined him older without thinking about it.Now, there are plenty of aspects of this story that I found interesting. The way that the family unit was constructed, what was expected of people and how they conformed to what they knew, the way that the world you imagine changes along with what the character is learning. An example of this for me would be the idea surrounding colour. When I began the book there was no indication that there wasn't colour because the characters did not know any differently. For me, to go from imagining a world that is much like my own, to gradually draining all of colour except for these momentary flashes made me feel connected to what the main character was experiencing as he realized these changes.. This shift was something that really made me fall in love with how this story is. I did have some problems with the pacing at time but I will most definitely be looking to check out the next book in the series, which I believe is Gathering Blue. I so am happy that I gave this book a second chance. The idea of perception and change is one that everyone goes through at some point in their lives. The struggle between what you believe you know, to what you begin to learn by questioning and experiencing.