JessicaRobyn

Reading Robyn

Twilight (The Twilight Saga, Book 1)

Twilight - Stephenie Meyer, Stephenie Meyer Twilight and I am have a very strange relationship. Come one, come all and step through the looking glass into what may very well be the strangest reading experience I have ever had. I listened to the audio book of Twilight before I really got into reading YA. This was the first time I had listened to an audio book since I was a very young kid. Back then audio books were all on tapes and came with a little four page read along books. The way I found Twilight was accidental. I didn't know it was this incredibly popular book or something that had fangirls squeeing all over the world, it was just this audio file on this music website. So the way I came into this was a little strange in itself, but things get much, much stranger. I liked the story well enough, this was after all one of my first exposers to the YA genre, but when I started listening to the book, I did the same thing I did when I was a young kid. I took the voices and made my own characters in my head. Bella had dark hair, brown eyes, and Puerto Rican skin. Edward was Caucasian, but very European, he had a Spanish flare, and his trademark amber hair. Other characters went through a similar metamorphosis, changing features, sometimes I guess I even glossed over facts to suit my own caricatures. I'm sure you're asking yourself: "Wait, what?" Looking back that is my reaction exactly. The story of Bella and Edward and my own story of Bella and Edward may very well be two different things. Allow me to clarify however, I didn't do any of this on purpose. I wasn't listening and thinking that the story was so horrible that I needed to make up one of my own within it. I liked the story being told, the romance was something that made me smile. I was just doing something I had always automaticly done while listening to audio books in my early youth. I know. I know.I eventually I wised up and evolved my reading practices in general actually allowing books to speak for themselves. This was by far one of my strangest early reading experiences, but was partly responsible for encouraging me to go to my library and venture into the previously unexplored YA section.Before I finally got around to writing this review, I had rated Twilight 3 stars, because I found that to be an accurate judgement of my enjoyment. But thinking about it now, I plan on leaving this strange little experience of mine unrated, but still marked as read. I definitely look back at this event and smile. Now days you can say I've changed a bit. Past Jessica-Robyn, a dreamy girl with her head stuck in the clouds, would be surprised how quickly my love of reading grew. She probably wouldn't believe how it has now become such a important part of my life. Maybe because of this I'll come back and read Twilight again just for kicks, but I'm pretty sure that the series itself is something I may prefer to pass on completely.