JessicaRobyn

Reading Robyn

Along for the Ride

Along for the Ride - Sarah Dessen 3.5 StarsThis is my very first Sarah Dessen book and I definitely want to read more by her in the future! Her writing in this book is not only truly excellent but really does create an interesting story. I enjoyed reading Along for the Ride and actually surprise myself just sitting down and immersing myself in it, finishing a pretty thick book for me in only one day. For this story the relationships were all front and center and I found myself really getting into how everything progressed with the main character, Auden. I liked that as a character Auden wasn't the most popular girl and didn't really socialize a lot, but didn't just focus her lack of interaction. It wasn't the same: must have a boyfriend, must impress, must date that I'm used to from YA chic(k)- lit. This made it easier for me to connect and invest in a story that isn't about a boy-girl relationship but a girl trying to figure herself out and deal with her life as things come at her, including guys and parents. I liked the independence she has from her parents, it's important to who she is and the story and yet the adults are still very present throughout the book. They don't just disappear into "not fit to take care of myself let alone someone else land". This balance made up for my dislike of the terrible parent YA constant. I think it showed how critical those relationships are to how teenagers look at themselves and become who they are. I do wish that Auden had her moment to really express her feelings about her parents to them, especially her dad, her passiveness did begin to eventually bug me.Now, her budding relationship with Eli was just adorable, they had their conflicts but it wasn't overly dramatic or whiny. Fluff, pretty, pretty fluff! Coming in just under the four star mark, Along for the Ride is a solid book with a female lead that captures what it is like learning to let go and allowing yourself to change.