JessicaRobyn

Reading Robyn

Forgotten

Forgotten - Cat Patrick Forgotten may not be unforgettable, but it will certainly leave you remembering it for days yet to come.While I was reading Forgotten I was surprise by how pages were just flying by. I mean, this is no raging action romp, there are no magic carpet rides, or magic wardrobes, but still I found myself almost entranced by the daily comings and goings of London. London is your "average" teenage girl who just happens to have some rather serious recollection issues, forgetting her past the moment she drifts off to sleep.I found myself being roped in by this story, despite the admittedly lengthy period of time between my having started the book, having to return it to the library, and then waiting while re-requesting it. When I finally came back to reading there was no hassle. It was like I had never even put it down! Granted my reading didn't start off so smoothly, the beginning was a bit slow for me. By 50+ pages in I couldn't tell exactly where the story was heading and found myself waiting for something to start to happen. Looking back, despite my early impatience this build up did pay off. I loved the way that London's world gets more and more fleshed out, it made the experience of reading more immersive. Though I do still wish that I hadn't had such a reluctance with the beginning, it didn't win me over in the way I feel it should have.Starting off, I didn't know how Patrick would pull off constantly writing about London's memories without it becoming overly repetitive but London feels very real. For me, there wasn't anything that jarred me out of the story being told. Everything made sense! Yay, super-happy-times!The mystery surrounding London's memories was natural. I expected there to be that moment where it would feel like a switch was flipped and we go from London: everyday to London: shit is going down. But that moment never happened and everything came together rather casually. The second half does manage to pick up the pace but the transitions were smooooooth.I have to mention also, the relationship between Luke and London! It was adorbs! Yet still believable in a very fairy-tale, I sure as hell hope boys like this really exist and early teenage romance isn't dead, kind of a way. Luke is the kind of Prince Charming that actually plays a part in the story AND in how London evolves as a character. It was a nice portrayal of first-love and not the "my life is all about you and nothing else," kind of love that I'm seeing way to much of these days.Additionally, I found myself rather liking all the little subplots and how they related to London figuring certain things out. It was nice to see London's future telling in action and did a great deal in helping me to understand the whole future-past thing. A couple of other quick notes to sort of wrap things up! I really liked the role that the mother played. She felt like an actual mom, so that was a major plus towards the story. I did have some trouble with some words/sayings that were unfamiliar to me (an exampling being "a crew team") but it only happened twice or so and google is my friend.I loved a lot of the dialog, there were some really wonderful chuckle moments. Overall, this was a really great read and I would recommend it to anyone looking for something a bit more relaxed, but incredibly unique. Cat Patrick is definitely on my to-watch list.