JessicaRobyn

Reading Robyn

The Dust of 100 Dogs

The Dust of 100 Dogs - A.S. King You know that feeling when you've bitten off more then you can chew? I went into The Dust of 100 Dogs with just a sentence synopsis and an anonymous list recommending it for young adults. Then I saw the cover and upon seeing that innocent looking skull and red dressed girl, I decided that this might be something worth trying. As of today, The Dust of 100 Dogs has been sitting on my unfinished GR shelf waiting for me to return to it... for over two years. Needless to say, it hasn't been my top priority. I have since moved on to less intimidating booty. I made it exactly 50% of the way through and I just keep asking myself, is that really enough to mark something as "read". I didn't skim, I didn't skip ahead, I just dropped it to the floor like it was a stick of lead. (Unintentional rhyme!)My reason was pretty simple. This book is depressing. It's intense. Like I said at the start of this, it was more then I could handle and definitely more then I ever expected. I kept waiting for that moment when hope would start to play a role. But it doesn't. And you know why? Because these are mother-fucking' pirates. The characters were incredibly well written, which only made them even more scary. Overall this has an amazing sense of tone and story. It's just that that tone and story made me want to hide under my bed and never time-travel ever.For the right reader this book will be fantastic! It will be a masterpiece of a unique stand out that doesn't hold your hand or go easy on you. If you like your heroines to be deadly and mysterious then Emer is the girl for you. There are not a lot of pirate books out there and if that's your thing then this is a must! ... But if you're like me and like your books to be a little friendlier, then maybe this isn't for you.I'm marking this as read, even though I didn't finish it. I kept hoping that I would come back to this, but after two years it's time to let go.