JessicaRobyn

Reading Robyn

Revolution

Revolution - Jennifer Donnelly This book came to me at the perfect time, I have just finished studying the French Revolution and Napoleon in school and had previously been keeping my eye on when it would be released and library holds could be placed. Now that I have finally finished I can say that I loved it! I didn't know what to exactly expect when I first began Revolution but soon found that I couldn't put it down. The first part of Revolution was emotional for me. Being a teenager who has dealt with suicidal depression myself I am always wary picking up books that I know are going to be about the topic. But if this makes any sense, it holds its own gravity. Yes, it is intense, maybe to intense for some readers but it has that realism that didn't try to turn the situation into something it wasn't. While reading I didn't mind the heavy emotion because it worked so well with the writing. It created a serious connection and not just a young adult PSA. After really getting into the book it took quite a while for the French Revolution to come into play, which I thought was a great build up. I loved these sections of the book. The story is compelling and there is this great contrast between Andi and Alex but both stories still have the same feel. The details were remarkable and I loved being able to read about the revolution from the monarchy perspective which isn't really touched upon when reading a text book. There are many sides to one story and Alex's had the perfect combination of desperation and hope. I also enjoyed the music incorperated into the story. Not a lot of novels touch on anything pertaining to sound because it doesn't always translate well. However, through Andi, her thesis and her love of music it was actually very interesting and didn't have the skipping record effect that most books attempting this sort of translation end up having. The book also does something that I was excited to see with character writing. Just because the book is about the French Revolution doesn't mean that everything about the characters or the story relates directly back to the Revolution right from day one, page one. It takes a while for the second half of the story to come about but Andi isn't originally interested in the revolution. Instead in a more realistic manner she ends up sort of falling into it. It starts with music and a specific composer whose name I can't actually find and it continues with this path to the very end, this is something I really enjoyed seeing. Now I know I could go on, and on, and on about everything this book is about and I really wish I could touch upon parts of the plot without giving spoilers but then this review would just never end. So, in conclusion I loved it. It was simply amazing! Go read it and feel all melancholy about life because this book it worth tapping into that emotion and letting the story of Revolution take you there.