JessicaRobyn

Reading Robyn

Twilight: The Graphic Novel, Volume 1

Twilight: The Graphic Novel, Vol. 1 - Young Kim, Stephenie Meyer I feel like this is one of those book that I don't really need to write a review for but as I am reviewing every book I read this year it is unavoidable. I have no real problems with the book, I picked it up because it won the GoodReads 2010 award and thought it would be interesting having listened to the audio book/read the first book and seen the first movie to see how someone would translate the same material into a graphic novel. I'm not a die-hard or twihard fan of the twilight series but I have never turn down a book, this one included.STORY: Now the actual graphic novel was interesting enough, the plot was alright in its condensed form, although it lacked some scenes it probably should have included for the sake of the flow of the story, it is very much a solid adaptation by Young Kim. ART: The art was what I was really looking forward to seeing. Despite not totally loving the cover image, the art inside is amazing and fits the tone perfectly with it's rough lines and shadowing. I especially love how the Cullen's turned out even though you don't see them a lot outside of Edward and am glad Kim didn't go for copying the appearance of the movie actors, it gives the book a bit more of its own voice.Now with all that said, I only have one problem with the book which while reading was rather annoying. I really dislike the speech bubbles, the text is fine, but the actual bubbles really annoyed me. In some places they occasionally cover up parts of peoples faces or they feel like their overwhelming the frame when they could have been positioned in a different manner. I liked the transitions between translucent and solid but even the little whispy line that indicates who is speaking got on my nerves, it seemed like it could have been done better. And that is all I have to say, which is a lot more then I thought I would have to say. I liked the graphic novel and would recommend it to any twilight fan or young adult reader alike, as long as their not too OCD about their speech bubbles.