JessicaRobyn

Reading Robyn

Sailor Moon Vol. 1 (Sailor Moon (Kodansha))

Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 1  - Naoko Takeuchi, William Flanagan First, before you do anything else, go and listen to this.Good, now we can begin all proper and such. I feel like this should be a review in two parts. The nostalgia from my early childhood and the reality of the volume itself. Part ONE:Back in the days long, long before I knew what anime or manga were, I was but a baby. A baby that really liked watching cartoons. Sailor Moon was a show that I would catch on TV every so often, during the days before I had to attend kindergarten. Sailor Moon was paired with Cardcaptor Sakura, Volume 1 and I remember sitting right up in front of my TV to watch these magical girls in pretty dresses dance and play. As I got older, my memories of Sailor Moon faded. But that show still played a bit of an role in my life, from strange dreams to odd doodles, Sailor Moon characters kept popping up even if I no longer remembered where they were from or what their names were. For years I didn't know if these characters were from something I had seen or a combination of things in my own strange imagination.It wasn't till I was in my early teens that I started watching anime again. Suddenly it all clicked. Introduce the internet and I was set with all the information I could have ever wanted to fill in the blanks all those years had created. However, ever since, I haven't really cared to look into Sailor Moon again. It's more difficult then it should be to get your hands on episodes of the show or even the manga itself. But with this reprint and soon the anime reboot, I'm glad to finally be returning to this world. Part TWOThis is the first time I've read the Sailor Moon manga. As stated above I was introduced to this property through the anime. I think because this isn't the medium I'm familiar with I was able to remove my rose coloured glasses somewhat and see the manga more for what it means to me now then just what it meant to my childhood. It's the distinction between the fantasy of my memories and the reality of the actual content. It matches up in some ways, but not so much in others.With all that said, a few things very much surprised me in this first volume. Firstly, this is a pretty long volume. There is a lot of ground to cover for an introduction and for a volume one it's length actually manages to successfully embody quite a bit of information. It's harder then it may sound to introduce so many characters and relationships without making the story feel rushed. Although the plot of the book can be a little touch and go (we're fighting an enemy!, who is the enemy!?, I don't know!, Why? I don't know! How? I don't know! Wow, Tuxedo Mask is awefully cute! Right, sorry, enemy battle!) The characters were all introduced seamlessly, which was something I was worried about going into this. Everything was pretty stellar! I came into this fully knowing there was a chance I would be disappointed, but everything was amazing. There are some places where the translation lacked, like during banter and some comical moments, but that could easily be forgiven. However, I did have one issue. I did not expect the insta-love. It is unmistakable! Oh my god. So much, so much. I love Tuxedo Mask, I honestly do, but that boy has such a Snow White complex! I just didn't get the connection that these two are suppose to have in this first volume. I knew it would move along quite quickly, but they haven't so much as had a full conversation. I had always sort-of thought that the beginning of their romance didn't have such an empty start. That definitely bothered me, but it has to be kept in mind that this is how most manga in the genre operate. Unfortunate, but forgiveable. Hopefully the next volume will improve on that front. Otherwise, this was really amazing to finally read. I can't wait for volume 2!!