JessicaRobyn

Reading Robyn

Dengeki Daisy: v. 1

Dengeki Daisy, Vol. 01 - Kyousuke Motomi Dengenki Daisy more then proves that you shouldn't always judge a book by its awful/mediocre description.The start of Dengeki Daisy threw me, for the first chapter I couldn't get the tone of the story. It seemed to be over-the-top, and I kept catching myself reading the dialog in mock soap-opera voices. Which is understandable, I mean did you read the description for this? Despite the fact that it does accurately explain the story, it just sounds over-exaggerated. In contrast through, the way the story plays out, it's actually rather subdued. After Chapter 2 came and went, I was properly convinced how good this was going to get. As the story began to unfold itself and back story was given, I felt really hooked in to what was going on. It's slowing building a mystery, but also has healthy doses of bickering and romance/friendship but it's not heavy handed about it. Though, I thought that Motomi would have tried to keep the reader not knowing the identity of DASIY for a bit longer then the story did. With such a mysterious figure playing such a big part, I was expecting for it to be eluded to but hidden from us, keeping us solely in the perspective of the female lead Teru who doesn't know who DASIY is. In truth though, I'm really glad Motomi didn't, it would have become rather obvious with the direction the story is taking. I also like the dynamic it's creating for the characters. Having people reveal whether or not they know DASIY adds this element of "Who is this guy really?", "If this person knows him then how are they connected?" It gives two different perspectives of what's going on, we see DAISY's side and Teru's side of things which adds dimensions the story otherwise wouldn't have achieved. Speaking of Teru, I have to say she reminds me a bit of Misaki from Maid Sama!, Vol. 1. The very kind but tough and resourceful girl who despite circumstances tries to keep her chin up instead of running for help at every opportunity. It's nice to have a strong female lead where there is a balance between when she needs help and when she knows she can tough things out. I'm equally impressed by Kurosaki, our male main character. You can tell pretty early on that he's going to be interesting, but the way he's shown to the reader really adds to the story overall. And let's be honest I have a thing for fictional bad boys.I'm glad that I grabbed this despite being turned off by the description and to a lesser extent the yellow, red, blue colour scheme. (I am super picky about colour schemes... No really, you have no idea, it's a very serious issue.) And I am incredibly happy that I have Volume 2 sitting in front of me, I'm getting excited, this seems like a series I'm going to get more and more into as I keep reading.