JessicaRobyn

Reading Robyn

American Born Chinese

American Born Chinese - Gene Luen Yang Hype and anticipation, those are the two top killers of excellent books. For American Born Chinese "kill" is much to strong of word, but it gets the point across. If I had just picked this up off the shelf instead of having it patiently sit in my to-read pile for so many years, I would have probably enjoyed it more! I know, I can only blame myself.However, the unanimous praise surrounding American Born Chinese had a direct effect on my introduction to graphic novels long before I read the book itself. Previously to this book I picked up on a whim Gene Luen Yang's graphic novel [b:The Eternal Smile: Three Stories|4437831|The Eternal Smile Three Stories|Gene Luen Yang|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1317793037s/4437831.jpg|4486024] which blew me away so completely that the graphic novel section officially became my new first stop.All that being said, although American Born Chinese fell a little flat for me it truly is still an excellent book. I love how Gene Luen Yang tells a story. The way everything comes together there is this amazing quality that cannot be overlooked. The story itself was interesting, a little exciting, and most of all funny. I don't have a single bad thing to say about this book. I just wish I hadn't had so many expectations and simply had the experience instead.