JessicaRobyn

Reading Robyn

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist

Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist - David Levithan, Rachel Cohn 2.5 ratingI have mixed feelings about this book. For the first half I just couldn't get into the story, the plot was interesting, but the way it tried to come together with the writing didn't bode well with me. This is another one of those books where information is thrown at you in order to keep the plot moving. This made the initial character establishment feel rushed, and because this is a character driven book this made it difficult to getting into the set up. Another problem I had was with the writing, most of it was based on thoughts or dialog but during Nick and Norah's long periods of thinking the writing didn't give much direction. There was very little emphasis put on body language when they weren't with another character and it made it hard for me to imagine what they were doing in those situations. They could have been standing in one place like a statue and I wouldn't have known. The plot itself is very chaotic and I actually mean this in a good way. When you're experiencing one night of life changing madness things need to be a little all over the place. It made the situation feel more honest. Nick and Norah didn't know what the other was thinking or how this was all going to work out and that lead to conflict. I really started to enjoy the story after the Where's Fluffy trip to the grocer. Everything sort of came together and the characters were actually beginning to figure things out. From that point on I really did like the book, which is what made me round up instead of down for my rating. The music references were great, the characters of Nick and Norah were likable enough, it had some funny dialog, and when everything did click it clicked well. Back to the writing, The Infinite Playlist is written in alternating point of view chapters. I think that they were not used to the full extent of what it could have been. After having read only days ago Will Grayson, Will Grayson which uses the same format but brings it to an entirely new level, it is hard to say comparisons weren't made despite the huge differences in writing styles and story. Overall Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist wasn't a let down for me but I didn't like it as much as I thought I would, or perhaps could with such an interesting concept to plot the story around.