JessicaRobyn

Reading Robyn

The Rainbow Fish

The Rainbow Fish - So, it has been a LONG time since I last read Rainbow Fish but I still have a general idea of why I liked it. Being little was so much fun! When I read books it really wasn't about the story or the artwork, it was about what kind of noises the book would make, how colourful it was, and how much candy I could get by memorizing the words and pretending I could actually read it as my grandparents huddled around me in utter fascination at my genius. Which let's be honest, was seriously genius for a kid who couldn't even read yet.But when it comes to Rainbow Fish I have a very distinct memory etched into my brain. The sole reason I remember this book above any other picture book I pulled off the shelf with my never, ever sticky paws, was because ... IT WAS SO SHINEY!!!!! Soooooooo VERY, VERY shiny!I still remember how shiny Rainbow Fish was to such an extent that when I saw this cover I got a ridiculously big smile on my face. I even have this one memory where tiny Jessica-Robyn went to the library and saw rainbow fish on a display shelf, opened it up, and put it straight back for the simple reason that it wasn't nearly as shiny as the one at home.So, maybe this isn't how you write for children, but how should I really know? I don't have the foggiest idea of what the story was about. But let's be frank not enough picture books are aimed towards the easily swayed "shiny" market. I mean, imagine how much more I would have enjoyed other picture book had someone had the foresight to make them sparkle.I'm just sayin'.