JessicaRobyn

Reading Robyn

White Cat (Curse Workers Series #1)

White Cat  - Holly Black, Jesse Eisenberg Okay so, listening to an entire audio book in one day without many breaks isn't exactly the best idea. Let's start with that! Jesse Eisenberg was just an excellent narrator, his voice not only fits the character and story but I just love listening to him talk, all day, literally.The story is a mystery but in the sense that it's less about deceiving the reader and more about leading on the characters. This is their mystery and as a reader we are only outside observers to the web of lies. However, for this story I found that knowing the big picture didn't make any of the details (or more so the betrayals) any less interesting. We get to see Castle's life get torn apart by family, loyalty, and violence. This is where my only issue lies, despite having all of these things happen there always seemed to be that next level, that hidden door, that Black never took us through. The door that would have taken this book from a character driven YA mystery-ish story, to a character driven YA noir crime-drama. Maybe this expectation will be better met in the following books but with this New York fantasy mod-boss set up, that was something I was hoping for. But my word, that ending! Like family is one thing but seriously! Seriously!? Seriously.