JessicaRobyn

Reading Robyn

Graffiti Paris

Graffiti Paris - Fabienne Grevy As one of the world centres of graffiti and street art in general, Paris has it's own perfectly unique style with a wide range of mediums specific to its allies. In Graffiti Paris, stencils, posters, and silk screens all featured prominently among your more common forms of spray paint.The graffiti featured here constantly surprised me in ways that were not only eye catching but creatively unexpected, from using street drains to form skeletal ribs to colourful mosaics added to concrete pillars. And that is what really struck me the most about this collection, the art shown in this book is more then just what I'm familiar with and understand as graffiti. This not only showed me a bunch of beautiful works, but broadened my understanding of what graffiti is and what it can be. Something else worth mentioning is that this shows street art as both high art by the most creative people and lowly scribbles done by the naively rebellious. This is the first book I've come across that has that balance of artist making art and non-artists making art. I enjoyed seeing the how each has its own worth.From a more content stand point, Graffiti Paris is a collection of photographs from Fabienne Grevy's exploration of the city. The photographs themselves aren't presented in any sort of real order and artists citations are left off the pages entirely. Instead they can be found at the end of the book with a page by page overview which includes the artist, the medium, the title or content, location found, date taken, and a thumbnail of the original page for reference. In this section you can also find translations of any french text and a bibliography page full of artist websites, books, collectives, and monographies*. Which I'm still making my way through, but I will add links to my favourite finds once I've made my way to the end of list. (It's a really long list, but I'm hoping for some worthwhile finds.)At the beginning of the book there is a introduction by Grevy about her views on street art and why she preserves it through photography. I found this interesting because Grevy doesn't appear to be a direct participant of the street art world. Her role is mostly as observer and because of this I felt more of a connection to the art she was presenting, like these are things I might have been attracted to myself had I stumbled upon them while walking. It made the collection feel personal in a way I didn't expect. This is a remarkable collection that I would definitely recommend to any art lover, street wise or not.