JessicaRobyn

Reading Robyn

Fruits Basket: v. 15

Fruits Basket, Vol. 15 - Natsuki Takaya This volume has two very different moods to it. The first part is very sad as we go more into Yuki's history, how he ended up under Akito's control, and some of what that entailed. This was a great follow up to what ended off the last volume. The more I learn about Yuki the more I'm starting to love him. After everything everyone in this series has experienced all you want is for them to be happy in the future. This new information also brings a lot more weight to Tohru's presence and how by just being around the Sohma's she really has exposed them to an acceptance that few of them have ever experienced. Although that is a running theme, her interactions with Yuki shows that acceptance in the one of the most poignant ways.The second half of this volume has a very major change in tone. From the dark to the light, the group is set to act out a revised Cinderella play "Sorta Cinderella" for the school culture festival. Through this half I could not stop laughing, as always Takaya gets me with her hilarious blunt dialog and then brings it home by throwing in something meaningful to the characters. A cultural festival play is a common thing to see in a romance manga for obvious reasons (normally used as some sort of filler piece), but this time around "Sorta Cinderella" was full of some of the biggest laughs I've had in the entire series so far.