JessicaRobyn

Reading Robyn

Castle Waiting

Castle Waiting, Vol. 1 - Linda Medley, Jane Yolen Castle Waiting is one of those fairy tales that has this feeling of wonder and the kind of storytelling that no one has been able to really reproduce since the classics became classics. It's not about the whiz-bang, it's not about showing off supernatural creatures or mythical lands of magically magic of the magic-y type. It's about the story telling, about creating something that is well loved instead of well polished and shiny. This free flowing classic feeling pulled me in as the story took its turns, telling stories inside of a story, gradually building upon itself. The mastery of how well this book is written from the dialog, to the art, to the characters back stories would be impossible for me to describe with any justice. The way your taken on a journey without a set course or destination is a large part of why I found Castle Waiting to be so amazing. Things did not turn out as I expected them too, normally as I read a story I like to stay a step ahead and anticipate but this was not a book necessary of anticipation. Comparing the first part of the book to the final page is impossible with how the everything came together, without really coming together, which I loved. I'll admit though I did get confused at times, and I have a feeling that I may have missed more then a few details while I was reading while also looking through the art, while also getting into the story. Turns out I'm not so good at being a reading multitasker. For a book that I picked up off the shelf at random Castle Waiting turned out to be a pretty interesting find. Amidst all the fantasy that can be found both on the YA shelf and in graphic novels overall this shows a different side to the format and genre. A truly well done story, I can't wait to read more.