JessicaRobyn

Reading Robyn

101 Ways to Dance - Kathy Stinson 101 Ways to Dance is a collection of short stories, sometimes as short as two pages long, that follow various teenagers as they first experience love and lust. With a topic as interesting and varied as that I expected a lot more from 101 Ways to Dance than I got.While trying to come up with exactly what I should say about this book, I came up with only one comparison. It was a lot like taking a museum tour.We got to walk through a situation, one of incredibly meaning in a young person's life, but you don't care about the characters. You've known this person for two pages and all you've got to work with is that they're horny. I just couldn't connect and one after another I felt like I was being shown something, something of emotional value, but really it's just a lifeless display behind a thick pane of glass with a sign that says: Warning: Teenagers like sex. To make matters worse, each story felt parred down, like the author was trying to teach me something more so than tell an interesting and in-depth story. I don't want to be presumptuous and say that teen sexuality has changed all that much in six years, but this book felt like it was written for a different time. For a book written in 2007 was felt surprisingly dated. From the practice of "Call this number if you want a good time" to hitchhiking to passing around a erotic book with all your friends in school. For a book about relatability, it just wasn't that relatable in a world with the internet and sexting.It was just a very meh experience overall. The only thing that really clicked for me was the final story All You Need is a Song, which followed two teens who have down syndrome and their own experience with first love. I would have loved to see a novel surrounding just them, but as it was it left me wanting more just for it's unique and interesting love story.