JessicaRobyn

Reading Robyn

Dead Men Kill (Audio) - L. Ron Hubbard, Jennifer Aspen, Lori Jablons, John Mariano Books like Dead Men Kill are pretty much made to be listened to. In the style of old 1950's radio plays the audiobook is executed very well. There are different people doing the voices and various sound effects which bring the story to life and really makes it feel like the time period. This audio version is only two hours long and it moves at a swift pace. Recently with the start of this summer I have been listening to a lot of old radio plays in the form of podcasts on my iPod. There are a ton of people who are using podcasts as a medium to bring back some of the old style radio. Back in the day when there wasn't TV or the internet, there was the radio. Radio Detective Story Hour has a bunch of archived radio plays from the 1940's to 1950's and The Thrilling Adventure Hour is a podcast recorded in front of a live audience that brings back all the classic tropes with a wink and a nod tying in science fiction, punch-drunk paranormal, superheroes, and war time tales. When I remembered that I had the audiobook of Dead Men Kill I just had to give it a listen. It was perfect timing, but unfortunately it was a bit of a let down. I can tell you that if I had read this book instead of listening to it I would have gotten bored fast. In Dead Men Kill, the title says it all. People are seemingly coming back from the dead and killing their former employers in gruesome and brutal fashion. Someone is using the situation to blackmail the city's elite, but people keep dying and no one quite knows what to make of it. But Detective Terry Lane is on the case! To be honest, how Detective Lane manages to solve anything is completely beyond me, but solve he does. Right now zombie mythology is much more common knowledge than it was back in 2006 when this was first published and that played a big factor in my lack of enjoyment of the mystery itself. The big twist is one that you see coming from a mile away and because of this it came across more like what I would expect from an episode of Scooby-Doo rather than some thrilling suspense novel. However, there were still some creepy moments, especially because I listened to this when I couldn't sleep at four in the morning. So in the end I would give it three stars for the production, but only two for the story, which has me rounding with a 2.5 star rating overall.