JessicaRobyn

Reading Robyn

The Color of Heaven - Kim Dong Hwa, Kim Dong Hwa I hate to say it, but this series ends on such a poor note. In this volume, the author got a little too caught up in his use of language. In the process he completely abandons his storytelling and character development to add more and more and more thoughts on flowers and butterflies. This volume is all about conclusions and reflections, both about the past and about the future. But the way that the author has gone about it is just unfortunate. Although the beautiful art continues in this volume, the text is just mind-numbingly boring. I had to push myself through all the long monologues and asides that just never seem to end. Although I appreciated the use of metaphor in the first book, and accepted its presence in the second, this book goes completely overboard. I don't think a single character says anything that isn't about flowers or butterflies. You just want to tell the characters that it's enough already. We get it! Stop, for the love of all of nature, stoooop!!In the first book the use of metaphor and similes was explored as a way to have frank discussions about sensitive topics which would otherwise be frowned upon. It was used in an interesting and informative nature. But with this book it is used to talk about absolutely everything. Everything relates back to either a flower or a butterfly or a butterfly landing on a flower in the snow! It's really unfortunate how the intent changes with this final book. Also, don't even get me started on that final scene. It was like, and everyone lived happily ever after as they all fucked into the night spewing metaphors for the rest of their lives. Because that's what we were all waiting for, this whole time what we were waiting to see was our little Ehwa finally getting laid. While were at it let's intersplice that with an older couple also getting laid, and lets put this right after we see her mother also get laid. Yay sex! ... It was awful. If you're interested in this series. I would almost suggest you just stick with the first book. In a way it is a contained story that is very worth reading. This on the other hand, not so much.