JessicaRobyn

Reading Robyn

Vampire Kisses: Blood Relatives, Vol. 1 - Ellen Schreiber, Rem While I was reading this I encountered a problem that I did not foresee. I knew to expect all the normal plot, character, and story elements that this type of story would willingly provide, but I didn't realize I was going so soft. I wanted to give this book a pass, despite the fact that it offered absolutely nothing to earn that pass. My reason for wanting to pat this poor little manga on the head and just send it on it's marry way was that for all extensive purposes, this is a cash grab. Should I judge this as a legitimate manga trying its darnedest or should I judge this as some publisher trying to scrap the bottom of the well of a successful vampire series with the least amount of effort possible?This book is based off of the [b:Vampire Kisses: The Beginning|5489684|Vampire Kisses The Beginning (Vampire Kisses, #1-3)|Ellen Schreiber|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348946825s/5489684.jpg|5557331] novels. The story being told here isn't a exact retelling either, instead it is creating a new story completely separate from the novels. I would be lying if I didn't say I felt sorry for the poor thing. Who is it kidding! It is not a work of considerable thought. There was no one in its production who gave it the care and attention it needed to be anything beyond mildly forgettable, almost close to decent. This is not the first time I've read one of these vampire YA novels adapted to manga style retelling either. There was this thing: [b:Twilight: The Graphic Novel, Vol. 1|7619292|Twilight The Graphic Novel, Vol. 1 (Twilight The Graphic Novel, #1)|Stephenie Meyer|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1317294278s/7619292.jpg|10090991] that I rated three stars. (The art was very pretty and on these nice glossy pages, I love me some high gloss!) Overall, I'm a fan of vampires more often then I'm not. I like the mythology and novels like, [b:Drink, Slay, Love|9917957|Drink, Slay, Love|Sarah Beth Durst|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1295367031s/9917957.jpg|14810636] have rejuvenated my faith in the sub-creature-paranormal-genre. But this little, tiny, baby of a book doesn't stand a chance out in the real world. I could never compare it to any of the other manga I read, because it would just be unfair. It couldn't compete in anyway, even against its brethren like [b:Twilight: The Graphic Novel, Vol. 1|7619292|Twilight The Graphic Novel, Vol. 1 (Twilight The Graphic Novel, #1)|Stephenie Meyer|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1317294278s/7619292.jpg|10090991] because there just isn't anything there. The story itself is simple. There's this girl who likes vampires and happens to have landed her perfect vampire boyfriend. Then all of a sudden his cousin from days of yore comes traipsing along with his vampire crew who want to be real vampires and not half bloods. And that's it. I just spoiled this entire volume for you in two sentences. Your welcome. I just saved you the 10 minuets it would take to read this. The book ends barley after it begins.For some undeserable reason this was broken up into three books. It's hardly half the size of a regular manga. Actually, the content is so lacking that they had to tack on an additional 20 pages of content that isn't story, just to reach the minimum of what would be acceptable to print. There's 14 pages of character sketches, a 3 page "what to expect next time" write up, and 9 pages of written text from book four of the novels. That's 26 pages of a 128 page manga. To compare, the minimum of most manga is around 200 pages without counting advertisements or write ups. Because it is sooooo short the little things stand out. Like the complete flaws in logic, even by manga-verse standards. A "cool pak" that magically sticks floats mid-air without needing to be held or fastened. A "cool pak", that isn't a spelling mistake. Then the very last scene of the book has an argument. Only the writers seem to have continently forgotten that the setting that this entire scene takes place (as established milliseconds earlier) is a high school hallway, full of people. And here's this guy abusing her, in a pretty serious manner, and no one seems to be the wiser. It's this sort of thing that defines poor quality. Why create something if you're not even going to create it well? Why put something out into the world that doesn't look like you've put any thought into it? Is this something you would really want associated with your work as a creator? With such a basic concept this had the potential to be a good series if someone had put the time, effort, and commitment into doing it right.