JessicaRobyn

Reading Robyn

The Luxe - Anna Godbersen I've decided to mark this book as read, but DNF. It's been over a year since I started it and I just can't bring myself to try and read it again. The Luxe has been on my unfinished shelf for so long I think it is well beyond collecting dust. I feel like I should at least say something about why it's there. In my opinion, historical fiction has to have a balance between creating a vivid historical setting and creating a connection with the reader. I don't know if I could say this did a very good job at either of those things. The historical aspects didn't feel particularly special to the time period. Take these characters, relationships, grandeur, scandal, change a few minor details, and you could plop this story down in any time period of your choosing and it would fit perfectly fine.As for my connect with the story, it didn't hold my attention. Although I love the time period in question, by the time things actually started to happen I was incredibly bored with the entire affair. One question kept passing through my mind again and again. "Why do I care?" So much time is put into introducing the characters, who they are; their relationships; possible conflicts; and what they're wearing, but none of that mattered when I couldn't bring myself to care about any of it. Where is the plot? Why do I care about these girls and their dresses?Since I couldn't answer either of those questions, I put down The Luxe and did not pick it back up again.