JessicaRobyn

Reading Robyn

Fingerprints - Will Dinski Most one star books get that rating from me because they incite some sort of anger, offence, or disappointment. However, Finger Prints gets one star because it incited absolutely nothing.This has all the familiar elements of a social commentary, with Dinski's focus on the questions of "beauty, celebrity, sexuality, art, and superficiality." referring directly to our plastic surgery culture. Unfortunately, this graphic novel is rather substanceless. Sure, it has a plot, it has relationship dynamics but I didn't care about either of those things. The story is so bare-boned that there is nothing to grab onto. A basic of good storytelling is that you need more then just something to say. The next step in that process is to take that message and surround it with equally interesting elements. Examples of these things might be, worthwhile characters and compelling dialog. By doing this an author is adding to their foundation, adding entertainment value to their ideas. This graphic novel lacked that for me, it was a start to something, but even that something didn't interest me. There are a lot of graphic novels and books that tackle the exact same questions. So perhaps I've been spoiled with the subtlety and complexity of the material that I have encountered in the past, having already seen this done better. This was lack luster, it was dull, and the characters embodied all of these things without redemption.In the end, I could have done to not be drawn in by the cover and passed on this entirely. Also, I have to say, cover price at $14.95 US for less then 100 pages that can be read in less then an hour is higher then I've seen some 200 page paperbacks. Which didn't seem proportionate.