JessicaRobyn

Reading Robyn

Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk: A Modest Bestiary - Read by David Sedaris,  Read by Elaine Stritch,  Read by Dylan Baker,  Read by Sian Phillips,  Read by Cherry Jones This book, or in my case audio book, throws you for a ride. Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk reminds you of all of those picture books from story time as a kid where adorable woodland creatures took all the good roles and then it leaves you in the ditch when you're reminded that the stories being told are indeed often very disturbing.A false sense of security is what this book emanates like a predator. However, the attributes that I would normally consider the death of a book made Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk too interesting to put down and walk away from. Yes, it left me with a bitter taste, but it surprised me and made me think. Despite the subject matter it was well written and for the audio book well narrated. I'll admit maybe I'm trying too hard to like this book. To take something positive away from it instead of focusing on the blatantly negative. It needed more of a balance, some good to even out the bad. You can have shock factor commentary without the graphic descriptions. The final part of the book was on the lighter side but it was hardly comforting. In the end I did not enjoy this book, but I can see what it was trying to achieve and in the hands of the right person it will enjoyed. Somehow, despite the fact that I didn't like it I found myself interested by the nature of the entire thing. I think it's a similar experience that people have with needlessly gory horror movies. I don't like what I'm seeing, but I can't look away. I need to know what's going to happens next. However, I don't personally make a habit of watching horror movies. This is not my kind of book, but certainly one I will remember... and probably have nightmares about.