JessicaRobyn

Reading Robyn

Yesterday's Tomorrows - Rian Hughes, Grant Morrison, Tom De Haven, Raymond Chandler In Yesterday's Tomorrows, we have five short comics, each with it's own writer and story, but all with the same artist, Rian Hughes. Each story has a unique format and shows a lot of Hughes range and techniques, which were all wonderful on different levels. Unfortunately what each story has to offer plot wise is a bit of a mixed bag. Although overall the content of this collection was pretty good and the art was excellent, the storytelling just couldn't hold my attention in any sort of meaningful way. Since I'm not a follower of Rian Hughes or any of the writers for this book, I'm speaking just from the perspective of a causal reader who happened upon this collection. I grabbed this off the shelf because the cover got me. I didn't know what I was in for, but a quick flip through the pages and I was sold on at least reading it through. I'll admit that I am a little disappointed. I had hoped that at least one of these stories would WOW me. I wanted to be amazed by something and with 5 really good possibilities, yes, it was disappointing to not get that captivating moment.However, if science fiction comics is your forte then this is something you have to check out. Nothing here particularly wowed me, but that doesn't mean someone more in love with the genre wouldn't see things differently.Since this is just an overall review, for a story by story run-down, including individual ratings and comments, take a look at my status updates for this book. I don't see much of a point just doing some sort of copy+paste and that might give some more insight into what's-what, without any spoilers.