JessicaRobyn

Reading Robyn

Liar's Kiss - Eric Skillman, Jhomar Soriano From the moment I began I knew this wouldn't end well. I instantly regretted not flipping through the book before I hit the check out desk. The cover is eye catching, so I was hoping for some eye catching art. Unfortunately, it suffers due to the style. The shading is the same black intensity as the line art and it's very high contrast against the white pages. This can work if there is a lot of white space to somewhat balance it out, however, in Liar's Kiss the panels are detailed and end up looking so busy that it makes me feel dizzy. I know from past experience that this sort of art doesn't work for me, it really does give me a head ache, but I have a rule that once I start a book I have to see it through. I mean, I'm no quitter and it was the story that initially made me want to pick this up, so perhaps it would make up for my qualms with the art style.It didn't. I love fictional crime, I especially love when P.I.'s are involved in my fictional crime because they make everything better. I just didn't like how this crime noir was constructed. This is a short story and it takes a lot of know-how writing crime to be able to create a truly solid short form mystery. It's harder then it looks! And this is Eric Skillman's first full graphic novel. I didn't go into this with the mind set that it was a debut. When I finished all I wanted to do was re-order the events. Whenever I start trying to re-write I know something has gone wrong because I should be enjoying the authors story, not trying to create something I want. The plot didn't keep me guessing and when the ending was finally revealed I wasn't surprised. The characters didn't grab me and the tone was not this dark or gritty as a noir should be, but rather whiny instead. It was all very "woe is me". Have a good cry, go eat some ice cream, smell the flowers, see a therapist.Cause I saw it go down a little something like this. Hey, my brother was a great guy! He did his best to protect people. He died attempting to stop a robbery. You know what I'm going to do? I'm going to go murder someone. That seems like an excellent idea, avenge my noble brother! Murder someone, frame someone for murder, and do a really, really, really shit job at it. and it just doesn't work for me. I did not think it would go down like this. Despite the fact that my randomly-grab-books-that-sound-interest technique normally works out well, I promise that next time I will do a flip through before I commit.