JessicaRobyn

Reading Robyn

The Color of Water - Kim Dong Hwa The Colour of Water is such a seamless transition from The Colour of Earth that I feel everything I said in that review can be applied to this book as well. The messages about sex, the mother-daughter relationship, the story of Ehwa gradually maturing, and even the heavy-laden metaphors about nature are all here in full force. Going into this series I had known that it was challenged in libraries for its discussion of sex, but I didn't know what the story would exactly entail. This series is definitely daring with what it does within its genre for young adults. Hell, sex in YA is so contested that people have created the new genre of "New Adult" just so they can write books about how teenagers do in fact have sex and allow themselves to able to describe it in all the dirty detail they want to, without having to market teen sex to adults or explain why sex is being marketed towards young adults. That's what impresses me about this series. It's about sex, but it doesn't instantly make the jump that sex needs to be dirty. This is a very tame book. The characters are talking about butterflies and flowers most of the time and yet there is still a very honest discovery of sex and even masturbation. However, the story does have its draw backs that showed through more in this volume then in the last. The metaphors felt more haphazard to me. In the first book there was more of a focus, more of a simple thread that tied everything together. Here we go from flowers, to wind, to storms, to rivers, to vegetables, to butterflies, to moths, to fire, to fire-butterflies. It seemed like anything in nature was able to be metaphor-ized. Are fire-butterflies even real a thing? They're never shown. At first I thought they were butterflies with wings that look like fire, then I thought maybe it was mythic. (Fire-butterfly! The lost Pokemon!) Then the way the characters described it, it was a butterfly that is attracted to fire, which made me think "moth", but then they say it's not a moth, and moths are used to describe a negative. So I don't know. Can you tell how much this is bothering me?Now that I've finished this book I will say, fire butterflies aside, I really am interested to see how it all ends. While I was reading I was caught off guard how invested I've become in these characters and their lives. I want to know what happens next and you can bet that I'm putting out a hold for the next book right now. Seriously, right now.