JessicaRobyn

Reading Robyn

The Giving Tree - Shel Silverstein When I was in Elementary school there was an annual story telling competition that every grade took part in. Anyone who wanted to participate would pick a short story and read that story a-loud to your class using whatever costumes or props you wanted. Your classmates would then vote on the best storyteller. One person from each class would tell their story in front of the whole school. Now what does this have to do with The Giving Tree? In first grade, my classmate and future friend Stephanie choose the book The Giving Tree and she told it with such confidence that she really did sound like a storyteller. A little first grade girl, without even looking at the book, performed in front of the whole school. To my knowledge she was the first first grader to ever win the competition. Actually, the younger grades rarely ever even took part because of their obvious lack of volunteers. I had never read the giving tree before that day and it took a while before I did, but when I read The Giving Tree I heard Stephanie's voice telling me her story.The best sort of stories are the ones that have memories attached to them.