JessicaRobyn

Reading Robyn

Mink, Volume 1 - Megumi Tachikawa Complete Series Review: no spoilers.This is the most bubble-gum pink science fiction to ever grace my book shelf. Mink is aimed at a younger audience of manga readers that are looking for something that is a cross between Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 1 and Hannah Montana. The story is a little odd so bare with me here. Mink is a young sugar-sweet girl who accidently finds a computer program called "Wanna-Be". Little does she know it is a computer program from the future that allows users to become the person he or she wants to be. It transforms you in any way you wish so that you are able to do anything you want. Let me stress: ANYTHING YOU WANT. It's like a magic lamp with infinite wishes. So what does Mink wish for? What any young girl would want: To be a pop idol. With the help of the Wanna-Be program she's got the look, can dance, sing, perform, and rockets to the hight of super stardom over night. Of course her two best friends get tangled up in it too, joining her to become a girl group and they have this adorable little robot side-kick. Of course they must keep this all a secret switching between the lives of normal girls and futuristic pop stars. There's also young love, problematic glitches in the program, fame shenanigans, the time travel cops, and the programs creator that add to the story. However, Mink doesn't have a lot of depth to it. Unlike the narrative chops of something like Sailor Moon, Mink is a wish fulfilment manga. The art reflects this, sometimes it is beautifully detailed and other times it's just super adorable. I have no complaints there. However, I think I should give some context to my rating. I read this manga back when I first started reading manga. It was a solid, light, intro to the manga-verse and I enjoyed it quite a lot. However, it may not hold up for an older audience. I was quite young at the time and do not know how the experience would be for someone who has read more serious manga or is comparing the story to that of Sailor Moon which I had yet to read at the time. Taking all that into consideration, I really do think this is a fun series if you're looking for a more chibi based manga.