JessicaRobyn

Reading Robyn

Darkest Hour - Meg Cabot I don't know what it is about this series. I liked this book, but I didn't really like it. It's sort of par for the course when it comes to my response to the series, but I was really hoping that this book would break the trend. Darkest Hour brings everything back to Jesse's death when his ex-fiancée decides that the backyard reno is digging a little too deep for her liking. You know with this sort of plot that the focus will undoubtedly be all about the Jesse/Suze relationship. This is the first time where their connection really worked for me. In the last couple books, Cabot never gave me a strong enough feeling that these two actually have conversations, actually have things in common, actually have something going on between them beyond Suze thinking he's dreamy. It makes a lot of difference when Jesse is the focus of the story and isn't just appearing to help out and give vague warnings. I liked seeing more of him. As for the plot itself. It went in some pretty unexpected directions and has opened up the door to question what it really means to be a mediator for Suze. Cabot writes books that are easy to read, I was able to finish this within a couple hours of when I started. But I think that might also be part of why I find it so difficult to give these books anything higher then a three. I like the characters and the stories, but so much is left undeveloped and unexplored. So many of the characters just get rotated out of the story. Any new character that is introduced is generally written away by the end chapter. They've moved, they were on vacation, they have some other reason to skedaddle. It's all too neat for me. It's like nothing has any sort of lasting repercussions and the story is so condensed that it misses out on opportunities to do more. For example, where is Suze's dad? When the series started up Suze made a point of saying he pops up in her life a lot, but we haven't really seen much of him since. I would have thought he'd play a bigger role. Having a dead parent who hasn't passed on seems like it should be a bigger deal.I just don't know what it is I'm not getting from the story, but it's all too put together and the more I read the more formulaic it's starting to become. Now is when Suze will not tell anyone what's going on to try and do things on her own; now is when she'll decided she needs to kick some ass and go off on her own; well what do you know that didn't go well; now it's time for a new plan which works, but only sort of; now she's in trouble; final battle; emotional conclusion; new characters written out of story; normalcy restored; the end.It's still enjoyable to read, but it's not hitting that level of enjoyment that I've been waiting for.