JessicaRobyn

Reading Robyn

Street Angel - Jim Rugg, Brian Maruca With a cover that stands out among other graphic novels, Street Angel wasn't something I could pass by without at least taking a peak inside. The story here follows a young 8th grade girl, Jesse, who is orphaned, homeless, and living on the streets of a unforgiving ghetto full of ninjas and crime. (Yes, I just said ninjas, I'll get to that in a second.) On the streets she's known as Street Angel a skate boarding hero with deadly skills. In this world of Street Angel's, ninjas roam in gangs (and play a surprising amount of basketball), supervillain geologists try to flatten the earth, gun battles are fought, there are ware-sharks, black guys called Afrodisiac, and even a Irish astronaut. Not to forget the time travel, gods, war, Jesus, and all the other nonsensical trouble that Street Angel gets herself into. It sounds crazy, because it is crazy. But in the end it all works together rather well. The book is broken up into numerous non-intersecting chapters with one strange plot after another. Street Angel battles her foes one by one with some pretty interesting results. In some ways this really benefits the story being told. But I'm not going to lie, I would have liked to see one continuing story surrounding this extraordinary girl.Street Angel is a brilliant character. She has one foot in reality and one foot out the door at all times. She's so incredibly young and because of that everything she does has a certain level of tarnished innocence. She's not the big busted, latex covered female super-heroines that we're all use to seeing. No, she's just a girl with her skate board/ninja skills who is relied on as a saviour in her fucked up city.The art by Rugg is what sells it. His name is asosiated with a lot of projects, the one I'm familuar with being The Plain Janes. His drawing brings out the best in these characters and makes everything just that much more enjoyable. The only thing that kept me from really loving this book was the storytelling itself. I like my stories to have narratives. Although the absurd characters and situations were fun, the flow didn't give anything enough time to shine. One moment this is happening, the next moment it's gone, without the time for me to really appreciate the fun or the depth of everything that's happening. Paced too furiously, I couldn't get a handle on the situation. It's lacking in the areas that would really make it an all around read. You can't just rely on great characters, there's got to be some great story there too.This is one of those things that I was surprised to find, but incredibly glad I did. Not without it's flaws, Street Angel is something that is still really enjoyable to read and I would definitely recommend it to the curious.