JessicaRobyn

Reading Robyn

A Midsummer Tights Dream  - Louise Rennison Rating, 2.5 STARS This book was kindly received as a giveaway arc from Goodreads First Reads. So, corkers, what is up with those things?In A Midsummer Tights Dream there were highs and lows. We are returning with funny-girl Tallulah as she takes on her first term at Dother Hall and wild hijinks ensue! Tallulah is a really fun character, so reading about her misadventures is always interesting. However, I had my share of problems. Actually quite a few. This time the writing itself was much easier for me to understand then it was for the first book, my first encounter with the very British style of Rennison. But by over half way through I eventually knew things were going badly because, despite the fact that I was interested in the story, I just wanted to finish it. I wanted to be done so I would be done.Nothing really happens in this book. All the events can be summed up within a couple of sentences, but because this is a novel, of course things needed to be extended a bit beyond that. This means that there was quite a bit of filler, a lot of back and forth, a lot of Tallulah just walking from place to place while she muses about her corkers. Although I did enjoy the later moments with Cain, not enough happened to keep me really engrossed.Then there are the odd comments that I could have done without. I could have done without the "lezzie" comments. They weren't negative comments, they were ignorant comments, and although there is a difference between those two things it still made me uncomfortable. These comments never really play into the plot, except for some more corker commentary and it is this unnecessary nature of the comments that made the record skip whenever it would come up. I understand some gay fun, but Tallulah expresses that she doesn't even know what a lesbian is. "I gave my letter to Honey and we hugged. I didn't even mind our corkers touching, who cares if I'm a lezzie. Whatever that is." ARC, page 165The word lesbian is actually never used, instead it's referred to only as being "lezzie", which did not bode well with me. You've hit a very sensitive button Ms. Rennison and although I won't hold it against you, since their wasn't anything particularly offensive. Just please don't do it again.On a lighter note, do girls really talk about their breasts as much as Tallulah does? There are 17 mentions (I counted) of the lumps of womanhood just from page 90 onward. For a while it felt like they were being brought up every other page. Do girls really think about them that much? I never talked about the size of my boobs or how much they were jiggling with other people. Have I missed out on a pinnacle part of girlhood? I don't know. Also, "corkers" is just a strange word to me.For the more positive side, I did enjoy a lot of the actual story being told. Although there is a lot of filler, the meaty, gossipy, boy bits were great fun and full of chuckle worthy lines. I also warmed up to Cain at the end there, which I was convinced would not happen. It's a curious dynamic they've got going! But honestly, what really sticks out to me about this book is that no one writes like Rennison. Her style and stories are unique to her own wit. This is something I value in an author. To have such a individual voice in a genre that is known for it's same-all, end-all nature is truely impressive.I'll keep an eye out for the next book, although my rating is low, I'm still interested in the series. Tallulah and her oblivious charm keeps drawing me back in!