JessicaRobyn

Reading Robyn

Inubaka: Crazy for Dogs, Volume 1 - Yukiya Sakuragi There are two things you absolutely need to know. 1. This book is about dogs, any story that happens to take place is accidental. 2. There are more then enough gross out moments, but they aren't always acquainted to humour. This first volume of Inubaka started strong for me. It seemed set to be a rare manga just about humour, but it didn't have any follow through. It read like it couldn't decide what it wanted to be. It's marketed like Shoujo and has all of the normal trappings for that genre, but then it has this fixation on the dogs that doesn't lend to the story being told.The storytelling sucks. It starts off well enough, then mid-way through it completely disappears, and then re-emerges a bit the end. Gradually I just lost the enthusiasm I started with. Seriously, the pet shop this centres around is called WOOFLES! Such a promising start!The story seems like an interesting idea, but nothing really meshes. I could've seen myself really loving this, but all that poop. I understand it being part of the story, I own a dog with issues so I really understand, but seriously enough with the poop. Enough. Focus on something else. It's like the chronicle of poop! Crazy about dogs POOP! If it was used more as gross-out humour I could've dealed, but it just constantly exists in the story without purpose.Overall I didn't hate this. It was tolerable, but inconstant as hell.