JessicaRobyn

Reading Robyn

As Easy as Falling Off the Face of the Earth - Lynne Rae Perkins As Easy as Falling Off the Face of the Earth is a book that I would describe as a contemporary adventure. For sixteen year old Ry this is the tale of how one misstep turned into his struggle to find his way back home. It's an interesting premise, but for me it fell rather flat. The spirit is there, but I never really connected with Ry. He never felt like a real person, or rather a convincing older teenage boy, and that made me question the believability of his situation more then once. This is another example of grade A parenting and avoidance of an obvious solution in order to tell a story. Which only gets worse when adults get involved in trying to help Ry on his journey home.Still, this did have it's redeeming qualities. I always enjoy coming across YA with a male protagonist in a coming of age story. There isn't enough of them and I'm hardly one to discourage this being read by it's more target audience. Also, despite it's flaws, the story being told was in some cases very interesting and is definitely a unique take on a road trip type novel. I would recommend this to younger YA readers, even going as low as middle grade. I would just try not to think to deeply about the plot and just go with it. This wasn't my type of book, but it has some aspects that I think will really appeal to a younger male audience. Even better, parents of pre-teen like creatures might be interested in using this type of story to explain to their kids how to deal with situations like say, talking to strangers or getting lost in an unfamiliar area.