JessicaRobyn

Reading Robyn

Tokyo Mew Mew Omnibus 1 - Reiko Yoshida, Mia Ikumi I didn't plan on reading Tokyo Mew Mew so soon, but when the opportunity presented itself, it was hard to say no to such a pretty pink package. I actually watched the first part of the English dubbed anime of Tokyo Mew Mew, so coming into this I already have a certain fondness for these characters. However, reading this, I was surprised how hard it was for me to get into the characters. The story is fun, and cute, and a little flirty, but something about the dialogue didn't sit right with me. A lot is going on in these first two volumes as we're introduced to every main character and the role they play in the story. Each girl of this bio-weapon squad has to discover their power and join team Mew Mew, so introductions are fast and boss battles are happening every few pages to get them into the fighting spirit. This I had no problem with, but the dialogue kind of ruined it for me.I don't know whether to blame the translation to English or the original text, but the conversations between characters did not sound natural. It was hard for me to just let loose and enjoy these adorable girls being adorable when I keep having to stop and cringe at lines that are either way too hyperbolic for the situation or just don't sound right in English. I wish I could give you examples of what I mean, but I don't have the book in front of me. It may just have been the style of the manga, I could understand that these girls are like the super-cute x1000 versions of normal people, so some things in the manga are just going to sound ridiculous and purposely so. But then there would be this stretch were I wouldn't notice any problems with their speech and then BAM! awkward sentence.Unfortunately my problems didn't stop there... Masaya. He's apparently this great guy, which came across pretty well in the anime, but here his most stand out moment is when he gives Ichigo her signature cat collar. And what is suppose to be this adorable gesture was not only very possessive, but rather unsettling for me. It's difficult for me to describe exactly what it was about this moment without pointing at the page and going "there, look at that", but keep in mind he's giving her a collar meant for an animal and I'm sorry, but that pushes one of my buttons. His possessiveness in his dialogue coupled with his expressions in the art made me uncomfortable. So here's the equation that inadvertently happened in my mind when I saw this.GIRL: Very sweet, but pretty much does whatever other people want her to do without much objection.GUY: Totally perfect till things don't go exactly how he wants it too, which is when he suddenly does a complete 180 and gets really possessive giving GIRL a collar meant for a pet. Wow, how incredibly romantic. That in no way remind me of any sort of unhealthy relationship dynamic. Nope. None whatsoever.I know I'm probably thinking about this way to hard and being too harsh. I mean, Tokyo Mew Mew is suppose to be this fun manga with an interesting plot about endangered animals, and aliens, and cute girls in equally cute costumes. I need to step back and remember to enjoy those parts. Which I did! The girls were so much fun and I can see how the plot is going to get more and more interesting. ... but I just can't get past that moment. I know that this guy is the romantic lead of the entire story and I am just so uncomfortable with how this blah moment just barged into the middle of my good time. However, I've decided that I will keep reading the series, it deservers an honest shot and who am I to deny it that. I just hope that I don't encounter more of these sort of moments.