JessicaRobyn

Reading Robyn

Bakuman Volume 01 - Tsugumi Ohba Edit: June 10/12 There are a few things I want to address that didn't even cross my mind in my original reaction to Bakuman. #1 - Apparently, this is by the same guys that did the Death Note series, which is surprising to say the least. Death Note is held up pretty highly among fans of darker manga and Bakuman feels more like a freshman project. Also, the change in tone is ridiculous. To go from Death Note to this is not something you would expect, or necessarily want.#2 - There's been some talk about the undertones of sexism in the series and although I normally have a pretty good eye for spotting that sort of thing, I just didn't see it in the first volume. However, I understand though that it might be something I just missed. The female characters are pretty underutilized as most of the plot surrounding them is because the main character focuses a lot on wanting to marry his crush. I didn't see anything as being necessarily sexist, but more in the vein of young boys just being overly naive and traditional about women/relationships. There has been a lot of anger about it though, so when I eventually get around to reading volume 3 I'll be more aware of the possibility and maybe not let so much slide because of my impressions of their inherent youth. Anyways onto the original reaction!I was surprised by this one. Bakuman pulled me into the story and made me interested in its characters almost effortlessly. The story line is pretty simple, but the way that everything comes together with the characters personalities and the sub plot of the Uncle made it so I actually found myself enjoying this more then I ever expected to.The art for the book is great. If you're writing a manga about drawing manga you better bet that this artist was paying extra attention to the quality. The expressions are priceless and with every character design perfectly matched to the individual. I am incredibly impressed. I'll definitely be adding this series to my to-read list.