JessicaRobyn

Reading Robyn

DC Comics Year by Year: A Visual Chronicle - Alan Cowsill This DC comics chronicle is fascinating, even for a new girl to the comic book world. Whenever a discussion of DC and its many past adventures pops up in geek conversation it's easy to get really lost, really fast for those of us who haven't been around since the hight of comics. I didn't grow up with DC and I didn't have my very own comics Yoda to teach me the ways of the ever evolving and remastered stories, so coming across DC Comics Year by Year was something I couldn't pass up reading. When I first got this from the library I was very impressed with what I had found. I wasn't expecting it to be as expansive and beautiful as it really was. The art on each page is printed beautifully, it is a huge book and has pages upon pages of interesting facts and useful information. I actually busted out my post it notes so I could tab the comic mentions that I personally found interesting so I could Google them the nearest chance I got. This book wasn't only incredibly fun to read and just look at, but it had so much information that even though it could be tiring at times to sift through, was well worth it for the most surprising little facts and notations. From the evolution of characters and their books, to the evolution of art, tone, style, politics, everything you can think of is covered here. The general history of DC comics and all the sunshiny, awe inducing stuff you love to see from your favourite heroes. I have a lot to learn when it comes to comic books and I found this visual chronicle to be one of the best resources I've come across. Diving head first into years upon years of comic book history can be intimidating, especially since this is only a small part of a much bigger picture but this was as fun and informative as I needed it to be. Recommended for anyone looking to take a expansive glimpse at all of DC's properties past and present.