JessicaRobyn

Reading Robyn

Gingerbread Girl - Paul Tobin, Colleen Coover Gingerbread Girl is a graphic novel whose story is both interesting and uninteresting. Whose main character is both lovable, yet frustrating. Over the chorus of a single night we are introduced to a plethora of characters each taking their turn to narrate the story of Annah Billips and her "sister" Ginger. With each hand-off, from character to character, we're given more bread-crumbs of what is really going on inside of Annah's brain. As outside observers we're asked to question Annah's sanity and to decide for ourselves what Ginger really is and why she is.The plot is twisty-turvy nature was entertaining and had me along for the ride as my opinions reshaped themselves with each new narrator.The writing worked surprisingly well with the art and what pulls it all together is this over arcing tone of mystery. Each character knew when to enter, when to leave, and gives just enough information to keep things rolling without giving anything substantial away. It is artful the way the author manages to never show bias towards one conclusion or another. Although, on the negative side, the writing did have a tendency to be a bit long winded for a single panel and should have been more spread out. Also, the decision of how the books conclusions is something I have mixed feelings about. With every turn the questions of Annah's story are propositioned and new facts are gained, till the final turn when were just left. The book didn't come to any sort of fulfilling ending, no answers or resolution to be seen, and I both liked/disliked this choice.I enjoyed the fact that the book sticks to its overall story and doesn't compromise the readers own opinions by giving one set ending or answer. But I didn't enjoy it because I like conclusions. I wish this could have ended at a point the felt like an ending and not a "..."If it were to turn out that there was a sequel in the works for Gingerbread Girl I would most definitely read it. However, with the tone of the story a continuation is doubtful. The art was pretty great, but nothing that made me stop and "WOW". But what I did find really impressive about it was how smoothly the art handled the transitions from setting to setting and character to character. Each motion flowed well with the writing and was a major factor in my enjoyment of the multiple narrators.However overall, my biggest problem with the book was a pretty major. I just didn't find Annah as sympathetic as the story seemed to want me to. I couldn't help but view her as a user, the way she treats other people was impossible for me to get past. The book throws around the word "tease" quite a bit, but I just saw her as exploitative. Because of this, I sometimes found myself at odds with how I was suppose to perceive her. With the way the other characters behaved I felt like I should have been finding it as charming as they did, which in the end effected my experience.Overall, this was an interesting book with a compelling story but lacked in terms of likeability, leaving me with mixed emotions.