JessicaRobyn

Reading Robyn

Anna and the French Kiss - Stephanie Perkins Re-read: April 17, 2012Anna and the French Kiss is just as good the second time around. I couldn't help but come back to this book after having read Lola and the Boy Next Door, which ties in the characters of Anna and St. Clair after they have returned to America and are attending college in San Francisco.. Re-reading books has always been kind of difficult for me. Sometime I just can't shake the feeling of knowing what will happen next. But with The French Kiss, Anna has such an engaging voice that I got lost in the story and it felt like I was reading it for the first time. This is incredibly impressive.I have a feeling that Stephanie Perkins is one of those authors who knows how to write books that readers can come back to over and over again. I know that Anna is definitely a favourite of mine and I can't wait to come back and read it again in the future.Original Date Read: March 19-22, 2011: Rating 3.5 (very specific) StarsRomance.The romance sub genre of young adult lit can be much debated when considering difference in taste and how much exposure to the genre one can handle before reaching for something deep and thought provoking. Sometimes these books can leave you cringing but with the positive reviews Anna and the French Kiss has received from almost everyone and their mother I imminently added it to my TBR pile and am glad I have finally gotten around to reading it. Anna and the French Kiss is everything a young adult romance novel should aspire to be. It is smart and well written with interesting characters, a variety of relationships and drama without becoming whiny or overly saturated. I loved the pace at which the story progressed and how the relationship between Anna and St. Clair developed and the moments shared between them as everything comes together and periodically falls apart. One of the major pluses for me with this books is that it actually felt like I was reading a romance novel, with a storyline that didn't solely act as an excuse for the next big dramatic climax. Stephanie Perkins has managed to create a excellent blend of great characters and a does-he-like-me? love story that is interesting and engaging without having to resort to overly dramatic will-they-won't-they? ploys every odd chapter. I read through this giddy as a school girl, and although it wasn't necessarily laugh out loud funny it was humorous and a just over-all enjoyable read. Not quite four stars for me because although I have no qualms it lacked that extra to leave me thinking "WOW!". Anna and the French Kiss is still however a must young adult read.