JessicaRobyn

Reading Robyn

Shut Out - Kody Keplinger Shut Out is about sex. And from page one it makes it very clear, this is not about subtlety or masking a message with a pretty package. This is about sex. More specifically, Shut Out is about the views society has about girls having sex, compared to boys having sex. We've all noticed it at some point in our lives, when it comes to talking about the down and dirty girls are meant to be chaste. Talking about it, thinking about it, and even doing it is not something that most girls are open about. And somehow after centuries of closing the door on the sex-speak we've created our own little set of rules, which can be seen in everything from slut shaming to virgin bashing. Shut Out takes the story of Lissa trying to end an inner school rivalry by banding together with her fellow girlfriends on a sex-strike (inspired by Lysistrata) to question as many sex-based issues as possible. And as I stated above, this was not veiled with any sort of subtlety. Which for the most part I didn't mind, I could appreciate the message being said, even if it wasn't in the most crafty or clever of ways.However, this is something that I could easily see annoying some people. If you're not interested in the message you're probably not going to be all that thrilled with the story. This book very much has a target audience of younger girls going through the same experiences that the girls in the book are encountering.But this book isn't just about a message, there's also a plot in there somewhere and at its core it's very basic. There's a love triangle, there's a family plot line, there's female bonding, there's the sex strike. That's about it. What sold this for me was the way the characters take this basic plot and try their darndest to add dimensions to it. Main dame, Lissa was the best part of the book. Her personality and interactions were very entertaining. I could relate to her and actually invest in her plight. The other characters were also nice, although they were not original in their personalities, each character had some excellent lines! The humor injected dialog was really top-notch. I could have only wished that the characters had more of a something to them, they felt very one-note. I would have liked to have seen more new ideas, instead of the basics types I expect from a contemporary YA romance. What probably ended up making me enjoy this the most was that Shut Out was just easy to read. I sat down and was surprised to see that a couple of hours had passed and that I was already finished. The writing was effortless to consume and enjoy and that's where this really paid off. I could easily see myself reading another of Keplinger's books based off that experience alone. This is a book that needs to be shoved in the faces of confused teen girls everywhere. It has ideas that needs to be shared and discussed, if only to balance out the amount of male dominant, slut shaming, virgin bashing, and abusive sexual relationships that are becoming increasingly common in the YA genre. I love this for its message, but can only like it because it lacked a complex story to host all those complex ideas.