JessicaRobyn

Reading Robyn

Love*Com (Lovely*Complex), Volume 16 - Aya Nakahara Love*Com is a series that is full of wackiness and romance woes, but I'm happy to see this volume end on such a happy, sappy note. It didn't have the BANG I was hoping for, for a big brilliant finish, but I really enjoyed how this book manages to do a callback to all the previous stories.Otani and Risa are just such a fun couple to read about. The moments they have together were always well earned and their chemistry is undeniable. I think it has something to do with that saying where relationships that lack any conflict, lack any interest. These two will bicker and name-call till the end of time as far as I'm concerned. I do hope though that once they get out of the high school scene they'll encounter less people trying to break them up, that would probably help their overall sanity. On the note of sanity, the humor in the series has always been great. Nakahara has a way of knowing how to get a laugh out of any situation! Sometimes silly faces and awkward stand-offs can be a lot more fun then you would expect them to be. In this final volume alone I found myself cracking up over the littlest things. The consistency in that respect is really something Love*Com excelled at.Now, I don't come away from this series without my share of complaints. Overall the plot needed to have other ideas then just teasing a break-up or introducing some new romantic antagonist. For two people that weren't very sought after before they started dating, once these two got to hand holding it seemed like everyone and their mother wanted a piece of the action. And let's just say I'm going to pretend that storyline with Risa's grandfather never even happened. Nope, I don't remember a thing. I still have volume 17 (an extra story) sitting in front of me, so I'm not quite done yet, but I will say that Lovely Complex, despite its faults, has been an amazing series (with excellent art and lovable characters) and I am very glad that I've been able to read through all its ups, and downs, and all over the places.