JessicaRobyn

Reading Robyn

Asterios Polyp - David Mazzucchelli Asterios Polyp is a graphic novel that takes imaginative originality to a new high within the mundane life of a struggling, fifty year old architecture professor.It's difficult to express just what it is exactly that makes this book work so well. David Mazzucchelli has an undeniable way with words and art, and when those two things meld together they create something that is pretty damn fascinating to read. I'll admit up front that sometimes I could actually hear the whoosh sound as sections of dialogue passed over my head, but as a testament to the book, it made me want to understand it. My mind was working the entire time I read, gears turning. It was like a mental work-out as it consistently and constantly asked me to question both Polyp's world and my own. I loved that. The art is also beautiful. The lines, the details, shadows, reflections, character designs, settings, colour palette, and the very nature of how the art and speech design plays into the story is remarkably good.I want to come back to this and read it again, and again, just to see how my perceptions of it change. Definitely something I would recommend to anyone wanting a new experience in the realm of graphic novels. (I've got to give a big thank you to Anila for bringing this to my attention!)