JessicaRobyn

Reading Robyn

.Hack//Legend of the Twilight Volume 3 - Tatsuya Hamazaki At this point, I'm trying to come up with something to say that isn't just "sigh". Now, I know that this book has an audience, and I was once part of the audience when I first started my manga reading exploits. But now, completing the last book in the series, coming back to this wasn't worth it. I've left myself feeling incredibly dissatisfied.This is a classic manga sci-fi set, adventure romp. And I have a feeling if I was a thirteen year-old with a love of all things online, I would probably feel more of a connection with this book. Same thing might be said if I had more experience with the .hack// universe, but this just wasn't working for me. This series requires without a doubt, previous understanding of The World and it's various .hack// characters throughout its total run. I have some of this knowledge through anime, but you're probably not going to get the full meaning of every event unless you know absolutely everything. This is the sort of series that can't be read as stand alones, and needs to be done in some sort of order.I love The World, in a word it is awesome. But as the story went on, I found myself more interested in learning about The World then I was about the characters or plot. This book had a lot of major flaws for me. Firstly, the dialog was just painful at parts. I understand the exaggerated nature of the characters interactions, but the flow of speech was just terrible and more then once gave me a headache while trying to follow conversation. Not to mention the need to go into some heroic "I will stand by you! Friendship!" speech every few pages. I get it, okay, I GET IT!I also had similar problems with the art. It was hard to focus on because it felt over crowded, like too many characters were vying for attention at the same time. This works well in a anime, but in a manga it was just overly busy. Then there were the characters, none of which I really cared about. They had cookie-cutter personalities, and whenever something interesting did happen in terms of character development it wasn't consistent. Maybe I'll come back to a .hack//manga in the future, but I think this might be a universe that I personally would consume best via anime.