JessicaRobyn

Reading Robyn

Quiver - Stephanie Spinner 1.5 Stars I found the beginning of Quiver a bit difficult to get into, but by the middle of the book I had become rather interested in Atalanta. Atalanta is an excellent hunter who is known as the swiftest mortal alive, as the story progresses her role as a strong female character becomes more and more fleshed out. She is physically powerful, independent, and confused but willing to let her devotion in the goddess Artemis guide her. This growing characterization is what drives plot forward.As for the plot we started off rather weak for the first 20 or so pages, but things pick up and the story finds a good pace, as her father is introduced and the races for her hand in marriage begin. And then with the conclusion of the book looming, wondering just which way the plot will go, all of this perfectly fine story is completely and absolutely undone. Atalanta does a complete 180 and takes the story from what might have been a relatively satisfying ending to a "...What just happened?". The conclusion that the book had come to was so disappointing for what the story had managed to build in such few pages.I knew getting into this book that it was going to be just a nice, easy read, that I could get through while taking my exams and just forget about later. It is on the younger side of YA and in most libraries it may be found in the children or middle-grade section but these facts do not excuse the ending. I wasn't expecting to be amazed and I understand that some of the main plot points, including the ending, are based on the some of the actual mythos surrounding Atalanta, but really? This is how the author wanted to end her book? There is this great female character that defies so many social norms, who sets herself up with this competition, and then I'm expected to see that conclusion as worth while? She gets this rushed ending that strips her of all of her previous character building. That's what disappointed me the most, I could handle the absurdity of Greek legend, BUT I really felt insulted how she went from a growing character, to a prop piece. Overall, I was surprisingly let down. Quiver won me over, then left me wishing I'd not bothered to begin with and just read something else instead.