JessicaRobyn

Reading Robyn

The Runner's Field Manual: A Tactical (and Practical) Survival Guide - Mark Remy So I'm trying to get out at least once a week and do some sort of completely-out-of-shape power walk/jog thing and when I saw this book I thought, "Why not?" Having some good information on as a non-athletic person can only help my experience. Chapter 1: "The Basics" By the time I had read to the end of this chapter I was already disinterested and definitely questioning why was reading this in the first place. In those first few pages, the book should have been showing me it's competence in the subject it's claiming to be able to teach me about. That is a basic non-fiction rule, show the reader you know what you're talking about.Unfortunately, The Manual is written in a "humorous" way that assumes you've never put one foot in front of the other. Since this book is taking a lighter look at the normally stiff non-fiction confines, I was expecting some laugh track moments early on BUT I am not a fan when my book starts off by sassing me. So far I've learned: (a * means it was actually useful to me)- What running is; the faster version of walking. - Where you can run; anywhere. - What type of runner's there are; or the "Hey, make our audience self-conscious about how they may look to others while running" page.- RunnerWorld has a training "SmartCoach" tool; We be pimpn'!Things I learned from Chapter Two: "Urban, Suburban & Wilderness Survival."- Things I may encounter while running; People, cars, bikes, dogs, and things in general.*- Wear cloths with zippers for temperature changes; I run in the rain 100% of the time so this is something I'll actually keep in mind.- Don't run on possibly slippery surfaces when it's raining.- Only drink water when you're thirsty.- Look where you're going.*- When running up hill spring up and off the hill- not into it; this would be great advice if I knew what "springy running" actually meant. - Treadmills; The Manual doesn't like them, no real reason, they just don't. The Manual says: Don't be a klutz and prepare to be bored running in the same place. ... Thanks, but I was wondering about position, duration, and the more technical aspects of using the machine in the best way I can-Oh, were moving on? Well okay then. (I checked the index, there is no other mention of treadmills then those total, 3 pages.)- Drivers; won't see you at night if you wear dark clothing.- Wildlife; THERE BE BEARS, who might also just be another runner, you should stop and ask! (Okay, Mr. Funny, the one place where you don't state the obvious, you probably should have recommended knowing how to use bear spray. Alright then, be inconsistent on top of everything else.)- Roadkill; hold breath and jump over.- Vacation; don't run.- Dead Bodies; Runners find them, don't poke it, just call the police.- Bathrooms; The world may need to be your toilet, but don't let other's see you.And that was the exact play by play of Chapters 1 & 2 and yet, I did continue to read on for the remaining 6 Chapters but The Manual never got any better. Things I did learn that is useful amidst all the things that weren't:- I may just have a high arch foot-type and should think about googling what I should look for in a shoe.- If the laces don't feel right, trying using two sets of laces (one used for lower on the shoe, other for higher) to better adjust tightness.- Running shoes can be put in a washing machine load with cloths just dry by removing soles, toweling off, stuffing with newspaper, put in a warm dry place, remove newspaper every few hours and replace with dry paper, repeat.- Be especially careful crossing the street on a hill, you can't see the drivers, they can't see you, plan ahead, or cross mid-way between the crest and the bottom of the hill if necessary. More Complaints:I'm sorry, if you want to say I should be tying a specific knot for my shoes DO NOT just direct me to your website for a video lesson! I'm reading a book, it's your job to instruct me, don't be such a lazy-a**!Also, on the subject of being LAZY, your book is being published in CANADA, take a second to bust out the metric conversion chart, we don't all like to do math while we read.Overall:This is a book that says right on the cover that it's meant to be Practical, that is the mind set I went into with, a guide that will teach me practical things about running. As you can tell from my point by point retelling, this felt more like a magazine article that was stretched out to 200 pages. And out of those 200 pages there was about maybe 12 pages that were useful to me as a runner. The ratio between good information and stating the obvious for a joke is poorly done. I honestly would have spent less time and learned more from a google search. The entire reason I picked this up was because I thought that reading a book focused on the topic would give me a more encompassing look then what I would acquire from a google search. I was wrong.Not good, so not good.