JessicaRobyn

Reading Robyn

Mangaman - Barry Lyga, Colleen Doran I really didn't like this. I am honestly surprised by how much this just missed every mark it was aiming for. We start off with an interesting concept. Creating a story about a manga style teenage boy in a comic book style world after he accidentally crosses a dimensional gateway. But the execution of this concept fell flat on its face. When I read graphic novels, manga, or comics the first thing I judge the book by is the art, then the characters, then the plot. In Mangaman none of these aspects grabbed me and I kept wondering why this wasn't done better. ART:Combining the classic manga style art and classic American comic book style art was overall a success. However, looking past the style and to the art itself I found it difficult to look at. It was all crisp black and white lines with intense shading that was overly harsh. It had no balance to it, and when the characters referred to the depth of the "three dimensional" comic world I got no sense of what they were talking about. It was missing a spectrum that having softer lines, patterns, and shades of gray would have provided for it. CHARACTERS:None of the characters every get past the surface layer of what they need to be for the story. They play a part, speak when it's their turn and really nothing else. A positive is that the character Marissa, the female lead, was actually an interesting person. She was quirky, and a little rebellious but so many things about her were just told to us instead of shown which is a major no-no in a visual medium.PLOT:The concept mentioned above is basic enough to give a lot of room to shape a story. You can take this idea in so many different directions that I think the writing got to scattered. It felt like this was an outline for a story and not a fleshed out idea. A check list of events rather then a flowing plot. The dialog isn't very well planned and there are random additions of out of place technology, with an iPhone and tablet making almost unscripted appearances. The ending was the point where you could really do something cool, I mean what happened with those monsters that were constantly mentioned? What about the other world? What was causing the rip? What will Ryoko decide? But nope, nothing really happens. NOTHING! You have all that plot and you decide to do NOTHING with it. It's like finding a $20 bill on the street, picking it up, thinking of all the things you could buy, then promptly throwing it in a trash can. OVERALL:This is not a bad book, it's not terrible, and I'm sure people will like it. I just don't like it. I think it's a waste of story, and honestly wonder why this was the final product. I know that both the writer and the artist could have done better. I'm just so disappointed in what had the potential to be a really great idea.*stomp* *stomp* *stomp* *stomp*