JessicaRobyn

Reading Robyn

Honey  Hunt, Vol. 6 - Miki Aihara OVERALL (1-6) SERIES RATING: 2 STARSAccording to animenewsnetwork.com in this post here: Honey Hunt Goes on Hiatus, Author Reveals New Manga Honey Hunt was officially put on hiatus by Aihara, back sometime in 2009. It's been over a year since the last complete volume (Volume 6) was published here in North America, with no news on the series continuation, I think it's safe to mark this manga series as complete for me. And to seal the deal, even if Volume 7 was to be published I don't think I would be interested in continuing with Honey Hunt.When I first started reading, Honey Hunt was a random grab off the library shelf. I try to find first volumes of books I've never heard of before just to give something new a go. I've never read anything else by Aihara but from what I've read online she's the type of author that brings her fan base from one project to the next. Even with the poor showing of Honey Hunt, I'm still considering reading her Hot Gimmick, Volume 1 but I'll wait and see on that one. (Any advice?)Honey Hunt started off very well, I was interested in the story and the main character Yuri had me routing for her to succeed from the second I was introduced her. The storyline had a lot of great promise in the direction it was taking but then it kind of plateaued. Nothing was particularly bad about it, but nothing was really great either. I enjoyed the series right through Volume 6 but it never hit that level that made it memorable or amazing. Overall, it was just okay.One of the things I liked about the series was the overall tone, it was written like a Japanese TV-drama, and being a fan of Japanese TV-dramas I was loving it. It had the appropriate mix of romantic possibilities, which include a twin brother love triangle, and other story elements with Yuri trying to make a name for herself in acting while battling her confidence, actual acting skills, and past family issues.Yuri's mother was probably one of my favourite characters. In the manga the comparison is made that she's very reminiscent of The Evil Queen in Snow White. She's vain, possessive, and views her daughter more as competition for attention then someone to nurture. I think it would have been interesting to see the story take on a bit of a Snow White retelling, it definitely had those elements brewing underneath the surface story lines.The art was also very well done, nothing bad can be said about that. Although I did have some problems initially with the chaotic panel design. It just wasn't effective for this kind of story and would have been better suited for a more action or impact plot.All and all, it wasn't terrible, but saying that something "isn't bad" is never a good sign. Honey Hunt isn't something I would recommend to people, despite the good things I have to say, because it really has no lasting impact. Chances are in a couple of months this unconcluded series will just end up forgotten, never living up to its possible potential.