JessicaRobyn

Reading Robyn

Great Big Book of Fashion Illustration - Martin Dawber The Great Big Book of Fashion Illustration (long title) is a collection of modern art pieces of various mediums meant to highlight the best of fashion illustration from around the world. I always find books like this one interesting. The idea that once upon a time before the popularization and commercialization of photography in fashion, people had to rely on the illustrator to show and advertise there creations to the world. This book brings together creative drawings created with tools that past illustrators did not have. Although, with the age of the Internet it's a wonder books like this even exist. With photo galleries replacing paper collections I could probably get a very similar experience using DeviantART or other community art websites. (With the added unlimited content possibilities.) Despite this however, I find it truly interesting to look at a body of work collected by people who actually have an inkling of human experience rather then just a search engine.I'll admit that I did skip the introduction. I gave it an honest effort but there was a point where I made the executive decision to just get to the pretty pictures already. I know, I have a very short attention span, but from my skimming I don't feel I missed out on much.Now, without question the art in this book is magnificent. I was a little surprised by the amount of abstract art pieces in the book, which lean a bit more towards illustration then fashion. But, this is one of those books that you want to flip through very slowly because every page is filled to complete capacity with everything under the sun. I could definitely see myself coming back to this book in the future and discovering even more new images in its pages.