JessicaRobyn

Reading Robyn

Persepolis 2: The Story of a Return - Marjane Satrapi, Anjali Singh When I decided that it was finally time to get around to reading book two of the Persepolis series I did not think I would end up giving the book only two stars. A sever difference compared to the first book, which I gave four stars and absolutely loved reading.As I was reading Persepolis 2 it became clear quite quickly that I was not enjoying myself. I was gradually getting more and more uninterested. There were some great moments. I love the way Satrapi writes about herself. You can tell that she's being honest, a blunt understanding of who she was and why. This combined with those small individual moments of political explanation/exploration and even just general conversation with her family, managed to grab my attention at odd points in the story.Another point definitely worth mentioning is the artwork. I really enjoy the blocky, yet detailed style of the art. It's a strange combination of simple lines and an individual voice. But still these things were not enough to save my interest.What started as an window into a world I don't understand gradually became almost tiresome. And when I get to that point, as I do with any book, I asked myself, "What am I supposed to be getting out of reading this?"The first book was all about getting some understanding, a new perspective to help fill the cultural gap created by news reports and misinformation. But this book had me struggling to find an answer. This fizzled for me (an overall "meh") and there was no recovering from that.