JessicaRobyn

Reading Robyn

Snaps - Rebecca Kraatz SNAPS is a collection of occasionally intertwined short stories, set during the Second World War and told through drawings and narration.What first drew me towards this odd find of a book was the connection with photography. The author claims to have found all her inspiration from photographs of complete strangers found in a 1940's photo album bought at a flea market in Victoria, BC. Imagining the life stories behind old photographs is something I love to do, so I can see how these stories came to be. Seeing this on the shelf I was too curious to pass it up. Unfortunately, I ended up a little disappointed. The author's slice of life stories didn't grab me and overall it felt like it was lacking. I wish that we could have seen the photographs she was drawing from. It always seemed like I was missing something and that made it difficult to connect with the stories. On the art side of things, the art was detailed, but the style was something that I found less and less interesting as I kept reading. This had a great concept but the product just didn't work for me.