JessicaRobyn

Reading Robyn

The Collected Essex County - Jeff Lemire The Complete Essex County is a collection of the graphic novel trilogy including Tales From the Farm, Ghost Stories, and The Country Nurse. As well as two additional stories, The Essex County Boxing Club and The Sad and Lonely Life of Eddie Elephant Ears.I had no idea what this book was about, I just saw it on the library shelf standing out amongst all the Marvels comics and 14+ rated manga and just had to see what it was. The cover of Essex County although the incentive for me to pick up the 500 page volume doesn't really give you a good idea of what the art is truly like. It's jarring and almost indescribable with the way it mixes realism with sketch. The art pulled me in and yet made me cringe with its harsh lines and uneven edges. It is understandable why some people find the art to be unappealing. But with the stories being told I felt that the style is what blended everything together, making the simple moments captivating. Th stories being told are both simple and complex, they remind me of the stories you would sit down to hear someone much older then you retell. Throughout each story there is an undertone that draws you in and makes you think about what is really going on with these characters. The characters are the true drive of the graphic novel, they tie things together and make the stories feel like real events. At times I found the way that everything weaved together to be a bit confusing. It didn't really click till I saw the family tree near the end and connected the dotes. I would have liked to have seen that earlier in the collection to have things make more sense.Overall this is a surprising good read. It isn't for everyone but the book is still interesting enough to be worth it for those who are up for it.